Hotel El Fuerte
Hotel El Fuerte
Hotel El Fuerte
Location
Attractions
Reservations

History of Hotel El Fuerte

THE HOUSE OF DON JOAQUIN DE IBARRA

TODAY “THE HOTEL EL FUERTE”

History of one of the oldest houses in el fuerte de montesclaros

The beginning of its construction was lost in the haze of time, but we believe it began in the middle of the seventeenth century ( 1650-1700 ).

We arrived at this conclusion due to its huge rock murals, its location at the feet of the city later over the high part of this hill constructed for the defenser of el fuerte and the fort built by the spanish in 1610; in addition we have verval information thar indicates the hause has been in possession of the family for more than 200 year.

 

DIFFERENT OWNERS OF THE HOUSE

The earliest ownwe identified is don francisco ibarra and gomez llanos who was born in 1740, died in 1810, and left the house to his son named joquin ibarra y escalante, who was born in 1775 and had some children, among them joaquin ibarra y aragon who was to be the owner during the development of the house between 1805 and 1880.

 
Room
Jarden

THE MASION WAS NEIGHBOR TO THE GRAVEYARD

The location of this house could not be more interesting and mysterious than the following: raised to one side of the church separated by the cementary. This cementary no longer exists as it was closed in 1800, but the tombs and mausoleums were there for many years making the border of the church and the front part of the house. The tombs slowly disappeared in the middle of the nineteenth century, that is, between 1850 and 1860.

 
 

THE PROPERTY WAS PASSED FROM FATHER TO SON

The house continued to be passed by inheritance from father to son, in this manner for example the widow soña guadalupe gastelum de ibarra gave the hause to her son joaquin f. Obarra gastelum, and this, in turn, was ingerited by his six sons, only one of which, maria guadalupe bought each part from her brothers, passing in this manner, the legendary and historic house as her exclusive property. She was married to Don Antonio Vega Gaxiola.

 

Finally, in the year 1984, the propery was sold by doña guadalupe to her present owners blanca silvia and robert brand who have converted the house into a beautiful and attractive hotel that is known as “hotel el fuerte”

The hotel was restored for more than twenty years, an ambitious project, remodeled the house of more than 250 years, without losing the beautiful ambience of yesterday. They have made modifications and changes without losing the original style of the house, but now with modern installations like private bathrooms,air conditioning, cable television, bar an dining room.

Jarden